Monday, July 14, 2008

Day 24 - No Sweets

breakfast: protein drink

lunch: carrot and cucumber salad, tofu, savoy cabbage with tomato

snack: peach, nuts, 5 baked corn chips with salsa

dinner: potato cakes, zucchini, tomatoes, and chickpeas

workout: Callanetics Evolution, 35 minutes HIIT

I had the most amazing 4 day weekend away. It was so nice just to get away from everything and visit with friends. Work seems to have become the focal point of so many of our lives, that we often forget about living and doing things that we enjoy. I believe our life is meant to be spent living, not working, slaving away for someone else day after day. With the advent of cell phones, it's like you can never get away. Vacations aren't really vacations. People don't leave you alone. They still call, even for the most trivial things. Even if you're so sick you can't get out of bed, you're still expected to be available. There's so much more to life than work, but it seems like work takes up pretty much everything.

Enough with that rant.

I've decided to try adding some high intensity interval training to my workouts. I want to speed up results, as well as increase my cardio conditioning. I've realized that I don't just want to be thin, I want to get into great shape. Talk about a shift in focus.

I know Callanetics works by using the small muscles that most workouts neglect, that's why it can produce such fast results. But I wonder how it works at truly shaping the body, the way an athlete's body can look. People in Callanetics videos are thin, but if you look at the early ones, they don't really look like they're in shape. Callan is definitely able to do a lot of moves and make them look easy, moves that require a lot of strength, but she's never really looked like she's in great shape to me. Maybe I'll have to rethink my workouts some. Add some stuff in here and there.

No comments: