Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Devil in an Apron

breakfast: cereal

lunch: Madras thali

dinner: rasberries, cottage cheese

workout: Callanetics 10/10

I went to two different Whole Foods today trying to find Devil in an Apron's chocolate covered pecan pie. Both stores have decided not to carry it anymore. However, I was told that if I wanted to drive several hours away, I could find a store that had it. Instead, these stores near me have decided to carry an extremely poor quality chocolate. I won't put the name on here because I'm sure the creator is proud of the product and doesn't think it sucks as badly as I do (as well as everyone I know). Why replace a locally made, organic product that can compete internationally for awards with something that makes Hershey's look like it's equivalent to La Maison du Chocolat and Michel Chaudin?

I remember when Whole Foods first started. It really tried to be about organic, quality food. Now the shelves are filled with conventional products. As the company evolves, every time I go into a new store, I can really tell the company has never had a business plan and understand why the owner did some illegal activities to promote his business that's gotten him to trouble. I wish Whole Foods hadn't put so many good health food stores out of business.

3 comments:

Robert Shea said...

Hello, thank you for the wonderful compliments, yet again! ;)

So basically some big things have happened with us.

We've transitioned into a nonprofit corporation! We provide donations to charitable cultural organizations, social service organizations (shelters, soup kitchens, etc), and we've even sent donations to American troops in Iraq and Afghanistan (we do not support the war, but being so far from your family, especially over the holidays just sucks regardless of ones political view). The second component is support of other artisan producers (we buy directly from the dairy and various local farms now). Finally, we've sought to democratize fine chocolate, we offer complete transparency of ingredients and more importantly costs, as part of this we've killed our marketing budget and ever salaries until we are established and have dropped all of our prices substantially (using the same, but frequently fresher ingredients as we deal directly with the producers).

I am not sure where you live, but we've introduced 10 new products and many of them are carried by Whole Foods now.

(I'll spare you my thoughts on many of the Whole Foods people, because yeah... the internet has enough venom already... suffice to say they do seem to enjoy bullying us.)

Suzan said...

Thanks for the update! I was beginning to wonder if you were still in business, so it's great to know that you are. Do you have any plans to put your website back up with ordering options?

Robert Shea said...

Yes, the website will be up, ideally before the end of November... the old page, for lack of a better word, sucked. It was just something thrown up in an afternoon. I pulled it completely because it was giving people conflicting information for our new structure (hence I now just have the mission statement page).

Hopefully the days after the holiday I can catch up on sleep and get the new, vastly improved site up.

cheers,

Rob