Friday, October 3, 2008

Wheat is Trying to Kill Me

Okay, I screwed up. I went out to lunch with some friends and had a panini. It was so good and I was so tired of saying no to bread - it's my ultimate favorite food, always has been. Now, I'm paying the price.

I think cutting out gluten has made me so much more sensitive than I ever was before. I never been this nauseous, etc. Before I was even halfway done with the sandwich, I began to have problems breathing, my heart started racing and beating so extrememly hard. If I had known that there was an extremely remote possibility that eating gluten again could do this to me, I would have gone to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. It's been hours now and it still hasn't gone away. It's pretty scary. I know it'd be a lot scarier if I hadn't known gluten could do this, but the chances were so extremely small and I had so very few symptoms to begin with, why would I think I'd be hit with such a whammy? I think this has scared me enough to never intentionally eat it again. I never thought that eating something I love so much would end up with me feeling like it's trying to kill me.

Hopefully, it won't take too long for the sickness to go away. In the past, when I've ate wheat it would take 7 days for all symptoms to disappear. But I've never cut out gluten before. Even when I wasn't eating wheat, I still had spelt or barley every day. I just hope my heart and lungs feel better tomorrow.

No comments: