Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Japanese Cooking

breakfast: protein drink

lunch: teriyaki tofu, potato, napa cabbage

dinner: corn tortilla, chickpea and potato curry, cauliflower

I really like Japanese Cooking - Contemporary & Traditional by Miyoko Schinner. It has the best tasting and easiest to make teriyaki sauce you can imagine. I've never really cared for bottled teriyaki sauces because the flavors can be so thick and cloying, too overpowering for the food. But Miyoko's is great.

I found her cookbook several years ago when I was trying to learn how to make vegetarian Japanese food. It's the only vegetarian Japanese cookbook I've found by someone who is actually from Japan. It really makes a difference in the recipes.

Everything I have tried is so good. From the Carrot and Tofu Scramble (not a Japanese version of scrambled eggs made with tofu, but a dish the author grew up eating as a child) to the Roasted Asparagus with Lime Ponzu Sauce. Her salad dressing recipe is my absolute favorite.

I hadn't picked this cookbook up in a couple of months and I don't know why. As I'm flipping through it now, I keep finding recipe after recipe that I truly love. I think I'm going to have to start using this book more often.

No comments: