Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Best Mexican Food Around

breakfast: vegetarian gordita, horchata

lunch: vegetarian gordita

dinner: potato salad, carrots, cucumber

I blew it today. I was avoiding sweets, but failed. I didn't even think about the horchata being sweetened until I was almost done with it. However, I will admit that it was the perfect cooldown drink for hot weather. What's not to love about something that tastes like a drinkable rice pudding...all that cinnamony goodness?


I grew up in Southern California. I was so lucky to be surrounded by great Mexican food while there. I moved away about 8 years ago and have been looking for good Mexican food ever since. Pretty much every place I've tried has left me seriously disappointed.

But about 3 weeks ago, I went to a different farmer's market and there was a food stand there selling items you very rarely see in restaurants - gorditas, sopes, traditional quesadillas made with corn. And it was sooooo goood. Everything is made with fresh masa - which, if you've ever had, you know that there's no way you can go back to the commercial stuff in a bag. This place is just so amazing I think I'm in heaven. I've been going back every Saturday just for breakfast.

It turns out the owner grows all of her the fruits and vegetables she uses organically (her husband is an organic farmer). She even grows the corn she uses to make fresh masa. Her sour cream is also homemade. And what's even more amazing is that during the summer and fall she has a restaurant about 20 minutes from me. It just opened up again this past week. I don't think it'll be hard for me to find an excuse to go. After all, if I ever decide I want something healthier than a gordita, I can always go for a tamale.

No comments: